Getting a puppy or a new dog is an exciting moment in anyone’s life. Dogs become part of our daily life, our at-home greeter, our leisure time companion, and our family. We serve North and South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama and assist as requested by Airedale Rescue groups serving that state.
Getting a dog is a commitment of ten or more years, with vacation care, financial responsibilities, and annual doctor visits. Choose wisely. Know yourself and the commitment you are making.
Is an Airedale right for me?
Airedales have different attitudes from other dogs. They are independent and stoic. They have lots of personality and love to interact with their owners. As much fun as the Airedale attitude is, it is exactly the reason they are given up into foster care. It takes special perseverance to get through the puppy stage – which lasts about 2 years.
Thinking about your daily life and your activities, here are some questions you could answer for yourself:
- Have you owned or lived with Airedales in the past?
- Do you want a spare ‘dale or will a mixed ‘dale be OK?
- Do you have a fenced yard?
- Do you have a crate and have you crated trained a dog?
- Are you aware that some Airedales are chewers, dirt diggers, and fence jumpers?
- Will you like the wet beard of a ‘dale and the big muddy feet?
- Airedales are typically clipped two or three times a year, depending on the thickness of their coat. Are you prepared to clip them or have them groomed?
- Do you prefer an active, rowdy dog or a quiet laid-back dog? (Laid-back Airedales are atypical but do exist.)
If you are looking for a puppy it is rare when Airedale Rescue Group receives a dog younger than 10 months. It does happen, but it is not often. If you are looking for a puppy (8-12 weeks of age), you are welcome to apply but understand we may not be able to serve you.
Consider reading more about the adoption process and if you reside in our region (NC, SC, TN, GA, AL), please fill out the Adoption Application. The adoption fee for Airedales is $400; for older dogs, the adoption fee is reduced.
If you need to follow up or have any questions or concerns, please contact us. Thank you for considering a rescued Airedale Terrier who needs a home.